Important Messages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why Use Tracts?

"To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some" (1 Corinthians ).
Why use Tracts? Good question. The best answer I can give is that we should use them because God uses them! I remember when I became a Christian and I came to know and understand the gospel through attending Calvary Chapel Camarillo. I remember reading a gospel tract after church one Sunday that had a prayer of confession and repentance on it. I read it over and over until I could recite it from memory and then I did just that. I prayed to receive Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, to turn from my sin in repentance, and to walk in the newness of life God had given me as a child of His. It was part of God's sovereign work in my life to save me.
I first used and learned about gospel tracts in college as I learned to share my faith through the ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. I continue to use them today because they are great "ice breakers" to help you start a spiritual conversation with someone you don't know. Even with friends, neighbors, or coworkers, I find that they are a great reminder to leave with them after talking with them about Jesus. For instance, I have an officemate at work that I give different tracts to on occasion and he has told me that he has shared them with his wife and son, all of whom are not Christians.
Here are a few of the reasons why I like to use tracts.
1. They speak clearly and they get right to the point.
2. They always stick to the Message and they never get distracted with rabbit trails.
3. They never argue or get angry trying to convey their message.
4. They never get tired and give up.
5. They are always ready to witness to its readers at any time and at any location.
6. They can get inside of a house and stay there, even in secret places where you cannot gain entrance, to be revealed at just the right time.
7. They convey a message that's never lost, and can be read over and over again by many people, long after you are gone and forgotten.
8. They can do a great work for God and lead many people to the knowledge of Christ.
9. ...Because God uses them.
Also, if you don't feel comfortable handing someone a gospel tract directly, they are great to leave in places where you know people will see them and pick them up. Here are a few ideas of places you can hand out or place tracts:
1. Sporting events
2. Book stores (Religious Section)
3. Barnes and Nobles.
4. Newspaper stands (leave one between each newspaper when you reach in for yours)
5. Pay phone Phonebooks (especially under "abortion" and "adult entertainment" sections)
6. Shopping carts
7. Clothes pockets in stores
8. Bills - return with your payment
9. Along with a generous tip
10. Drop in bags
11. Lobbies
12. Inside restaurant menus
13. Drive Thru Cashiers
14. State or County Fairs
15. Restroom stalls
16. Rest areas
17. Diaper changing stations
18. ATM machines
19. Credit card slots (ie. at gas stations)
20. Junk mail envelopes
21. Elevators
22. Hotel dressers and drawers
23. Magazine racks
24. Newspaper racks
25. Waiting rooms of doctors' offices and hospitals
26. On seats at airports,subways, and bus stations
27.  Plane seat pockets
29. Sleeves in DVD Jackets
30. Cabs
31. Laundromats
32. Library
33. Truck stops
34. Cases of Beer
35. Plastic brochure
36. Holder by your door
37. Movie Rentals
38. Napkin holders
39. EBay shipments.
40. Pin to bulletin boards in public places
41. Trick-or-Treat Packages (use Halloween time for God's glory!)
42. Everywhere
Be creative. You never know who might come along and read a tract that you have placed somewhere. If nothing else, leaving a tract for someone to pick up will encourage you to pray for someone. Have fun with it and ask God to use every tract you handout or leave somewhere. You never know who you might meet in heaven one day because of a tract you handed out or left somewhere.
Charles Spurgeon once stated, "When preaching and private talk are not available, you need to have a tract ready . . . Get good striking tracts, or none at all. But a touching gospel tract may be the seed of eternal life. Therefore, do not go out without your tracts."
Some of my favorite tracts can be found at the following places online: Living Waters, Custom Tract Source, Chick Cartoon Tracts.
If you have creative ideas or ways you like to use tracts, please let me know. And always remember that whatever you do, do it for the Glory of God!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brother. I just discovered your blog. Thanks for posting this. I can't go anywhere without tracts! I posted the link to this on Twitter @Seekingforsouls. God bless! Keep on the firing line for souls!

    ReplyDelete